Lucky or Unlucky?
I’ve always wondered how other people look at luck and how
it affects different people in different ways. Obviously, luck is the chance of
something happening rather than your own decision, but luck can be perceived in
so many ways. What some people consider lucky, others may consider unlucky. For
instance, some may say that Pilate is unlucky to be born without a navel. With
people constantly asking, “where’s your navel,” and people constantly leaving
her, the situation is without a doubt an unlucky one. However, Pilate is also
lucky because her not having a navel is what caused her to be so strong.
Despite what situation is considered lucky or unlucky, I
feel that almost all of the time, it is a lucky situation. Even if you made a
huge mistake and your life is ruined forever, you learned something from it and
you can improve your further decisions from that lesson. Therefore, I consider
that to be lucky that you learned the lesson because you will most likely make
that mistake some time in your life.
How is luck determined and how are some people considered
more lucky than others? This question cannot be answered in a different way
except that it is RANDOM. It is true that some people may receive more luck
than others; however, if hard work is put in, you don’t need to rely on the
randomness of luck.
Wow I loved this blog post! I think it's a really interesting concept that people can interpret a situation in an infinite number of ways. The example of Pilate is perfect because throughout the novel, we see different examples of how her lack of a navel is an advantage as well as a disadvantage. Next time something I see as "unlucky" happens in my own life, I'll have to try to see if I can look at the situation from an optimistic point of view and see it as "lucky" :)
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Bright! I think the idea of luck is something we made up in order to compensate for anything unexplained that prevented us from reaching our goals. We often blame unfortunate events on luck, but in the end, I think it's just the way life goes, and we always learn to adapt to the misfortunes and take advantage of our fortunes.
ReplyDelete